Saturday, July 02, 2005

My Guru Awards dilemma


First, I hope I spelled dilemma right. Secondly, I need your help. In Las Vegas, we had just over 3,000 paid conference attendees, and of those only around 100 or so people entered their work in the Guru Awards competition. There's no entry fee, and it's open to anyone who attends the conference, and yet we're lucky to get 200 pieces entered (an average of about two per person--it seems like once someone does actually enter, they send in at least two or more pieces).

Anyway, I'm working with our Web team to make the Gurus Web site (http://www.photoshopworld.com/Guru.html) easier to use, and help potential entrants find the info they're looking for faster. I've also allowed more types of submissions, and larger file sizes allowed, and printed pieces as well. In short, I'm trying to make it more inviting. If you've got any ideas on how to get more attendees involved, please post a comment here.

Thanks! -Scott

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon Gales said...

I think it's purely intimidation factor. To enter I have to believe that I'm better than 3,000 of my closest friends (though they don't know it's more like 100, a much easier standing).

Maybe have a free prize randomly assigned to X people. Because it's random you'll encourage more people (I don't have to face off against Burt Monroy, a fight I am destined to lose.)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

Jon:
You may be right with that intimidation factor, but if you are (and I'm sure that it does figure in to some extent), how do we get around it? How to we make the awards "less' intimidating?

Any ideas would be warmly welcomed (seeing that it's July in humid Florida). ;-)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Jon Gales said...

That's where the idea of random giveaways comes in. I can enter, even if I don't think I will win the big prize and still be eligible for something. Maybe it's just a coupon for some free shots off of iStock, but at least it's something.

For most poeople it seems like a blackhole--if you don't think you can win there isn't currently a reason to enter (other than the fact that you'll find out that you really aren't the best.)

I don't know if that would get you better quality entries (there may be some sleeper hits), but it would at last garner some more interest.

I'm not sure how the entries are judged, is there a pubic voting stage? That might be interesting to, a "people's choice" category.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home