Monday, March 19, 2007

Our Industry Loses a True Icon

On Friday the wedding and portrait industry suffered a huge loss as legendary Wedding photographer and gifted photographic educator Monte Zucker passed away after battling with Pancreatic Cancer.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll remember my accounts of attending Monte's workshop at the Digital Technology Centre, and how absolutely blown away I was with what I learned, and the man teaching it. I had been following Monte's work for years, but this had been the first time I ever met him in person, and I was so taken by his personality, his wonderful teaching style, and his genuine love of people, (which is why I feel his photography captured such beauty and created such emotion). You can imagine how honored I was when the Digital Technology Centre told me Monte had signed up as a student to take my Lightroom workshop there last month, but by the time the workshop came around, he was too weak to attend. Monte was already battling the cancer, and knew what the cards held for him, yet he still kept learning, teaching, and giving back right to the very end.

Professional Photographer magazine did just a wonderful and inspirational feature story on Monte's life and career in their current issue. If you have that issue, I encourage you to take a moment to learn more about this icon of wedding photography and photography education. My hat's off to PPA for honoring Monte in this way, and acknowledging his many contributions to the advancing the true art of wedding and portrait photography.

I wish I had met Monte sooner, and I wish I had gotten the chance to know him better, because he truly was a remarkable person whose passion for sharing, and love of people could be seen by the twinkle in his eye, his warm caring smile, and the magical images he creates (you can see some of his wonderful work here).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredibly sad to hear such news.
I recently ordered one of Monty's DVD's on portrait photography...AWESOME stuff. The guy was certainly an extremely talented man and his delivery was encapsulating.

Although I never met Monty, hand on heart some of the images I'm producing now, which I'm real proud of are in part down to him through the DVD.

Thankyou.

6:09 PM  
Blogger NE5 said...

Wow, what a sad day this is. It's hard to believe that Monte is gone. Hearing such news makes me cry. I first met him almost 20 years ago at WPPI's 1988 convention in Nashville. As a person and a photographer, he was truly LARGER than life and his work was always so exquisite. I, like so many others, sat at the feet of this photographic giant and wondered if my work could EVER be THAT GOOD! As a teacher, he was funny, inspirational and always so generous in sharing his lifetime of knowledge about portraiture, business, sales, customer service and so many other things. I recall him starting his seminars off with James Brown singing -"I Feel Good" which got us all in the mood for a great session to come. Monte got you up and excited about the art form, work, challenge, rewards and inner fulfillment that a career in wedding/people photography could provide. He was a true master and a legend in his own time - yet he always took the time to encourage others, especially newcomers into the industry. I studied with him every time he came to town. He even created a signature Monte image of me (in polaroid format) one year at WPPI's trade show. I waited with anticipation each month for his newsletter which taught me so much about posing, lighting, working with couples and families, etc. I stil have and cherish them. He was a ball to hang out with at WPPI's parties/ receptions, too. The love he had for his clients and fellow photogs was evident in his smile and laughter and in everything he did for them. He demonstrated the importance of continuing education and showed us how we could capture gorgeous light and elicit natural flattering expressions from our clients to create memorable images. He was a supreme example of how an artist can impact the lives of the people he photographs. He once looked at one of my bridal portraits and told me it was beautiful. Hearing such praise from him kept me going during many hard times with my photo studio. He made me proud to be a photographer. I was even more proud to call him my Teacher. I've worked in the music industry for the last 7 years and during all that time, I never met anyone in music who was as giving as Monte was to his beloved colleagues. That's why I'm now getting back into photography. I will miss Monte's brilliance as an artist but more than that, I will miss him as a wonderful human being. The beauty of his impeccable work remains and his spirit will live on in our hearts. In tribute to Monte and other great artists who took the time to mentor me, I will continue to mentor young people in the arts. I think that's what Monte would ask of us... to share our knowledge & encouragement ... to pass it on to future generations. Farewell dear Monte and once again thank you for everything you gave me. I loved you and will miss you.
Your lifelong student,
Bettie Robertson

7:25 PM  
Blogger Wayne Martin said...

I am from the Baltimore Washington area, The guys they always talked about Monte what he sad how good he was ect. I statred reading Shutter Bug just to read his monthy article some of the guys had some of his writing with lighting diagrams ect. I finaly got a chance to see him in New York and man what a treat. He was on stage having a ball shoting and they had to practacly run him off the stage but he did not grab his bag and leave no he sit right there on the front row answered every question that any body asked him I was truly impressed. I was also at his last work shop here when he anounced that he was ill and had little time left, I am glad that I did get a chance to be there I also wish I had the chance to meet him and learn from him. He will be missed

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home