6 Megapixels + JPEG = :-)

Last week I took my son on a "Father and Son" weekend trip out West, and since it was just for fun, I didn't want to take my 12 megapixel D2X and a camera bag full of lenses, so instead I took my backup body (a 6-megapixel Nikon D70s with a 18-200mm lens I borrowed from my buddy Larry Becker). Since I wasn't doing "serious photography," I shot in JPEG (rather than Raw), but used the Fine quality setting and the largest size my D70s will shoot. But I have to tell you: I had a smile on my face the whole time, because while on my D2X shooting in Raw I get 198 shots per 4GB memory card, the same memory card used in my D70 (shooting in JPEG fine mode), gave me a whopping 1,100+ shots. I may never shoot raw again. ;-)


11 Comments:
So all 1100+ of your jpeg shots are perfectly exposed, color balanced and sharpened? I hope Mr. Knoll and Mr. Fraser aren't quite so enamored of jpeg quantity over raw quality...
Is more better? Sounds like overshooting to me! How many of those are actually keepers? I guess if one uses the shot gun approach your bound to hit something worth keeping. Next time go out with only a 1 meg card, take your time and shoot NEF I bet you have a high ratio of keepers. Contact OSA (Over Shooters Anonymous) for membership and treatment.
Dear Mean Anonymous Posters:
Did you even read my post? You totally missed the point of my post. I said I was shooting shots of my kid and I on vacation. Shots of us him playing around at Disneyland, and it was nice to see 1,100 shots available, instead of just 198. It was nice to edit small files, instead of huge files. That's what I meant by "not serious photography." That's why I added a "wink" at the end of the comment. It wasn't a serious statement about Raw vs. JPEG. It was just an observation that sometimes it's OK to shoot JPEG--especially when you're off with your kid on vacation. By the way, I always hear people saying "great photography isn't about the camera," and I totally agree. But appearently worse yet, you think it's about the file format. Lighten up. :-)
Geez, Scott. I can't believe a "serious" photographer like yourself would even consider not shooting in RAW; especially since you write books on the subject. You should always think of the prints hanging in a gallery in soho when you're shooting candid pics of Jordan with Mickey Mouse!!
Jason,
Sarcasticville, TN
Eh there!
This discussion remind me of the "old time" when we would go to the drugstore and buy some cheap film that been bathing in the sun on the shelves for months. We would buy ten or 12 rolls processing included and not worry about quality, it was fun.
I guess shooting jpeg is the same, just shoot a lot, have fun and don't worry too much about quality (or flexibility).
After all, who needs perfection every time? life is short.
Have a great day!
Scott has the right idea, I shoot jpeg when I take my kids out for some fun. Little ones move around way to much, and especially at Disney.
If I tried to shoot my 3 year old and 1 year old with 198 available shots, I would be chimping like a newbie.
BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!
So no one out there has ever missed a shot because they were waiting for their cameras cache to clear enough space for that next RAW image...come on, come on, hurry up, damn it!!!! Been there, done that. RAW is great when you have time and patience but you can't beat JPEG for fast action! Just kidding about the blasphemer comment :)
I had to laugh out loud at this. :)
Depending on the stuff I shoot, I make the same judgement call, and every now and then get dirty looks from RAW purists. If it's just for 4x6 prints, man, I don't want to process all those RAW files.
And yes, I realized your tongue was firmly planted in cheek. :)
1100+ shots on one card..
I'm just a paranoid guy!
I should have more faith I know, but if that card failed thats a lot of great photos never to be viewed in Photoshop.
I must work on my CF CARD fear.
Nikon D70s at Large/Fine JPG surrenders some nice quality 11x14s and 16x20s. And to get 1100 is a great joy! Good for you, man!
I'm proud of you!
Dare to be different!
Boldly go where others fear to tread.
That and bring your laptop to quickly burn to disk.
Post a Comment
<< Home