Friday, October 06, 2006

Shooting the Moon!


Last night we had a fairly darn glorious full moon, so I stepped out front, set up my gear and shot it (shown above--click for larger version). Shooting the moon, and getting good detail, is actually simple, but most folks get the shot on the left---the totally blown out, no detail moon. That's because they didn't use the "magic bullet;" two simple settings that work perfectly for shooting the moon. I included this trick in my new book "The Digital Photography Book" and I also included how to do a digital double-exposure in Photoshop to add the moon to any night time sky. Anyway, here's the simple steps (from the book):

(1) Use as long a telephoto lens as you've got (at least 200mm). I used a 200mm telephoto lens, but I added a 1.4 teleconverter last night so it was effectively almost a 300mm.
(2) Use a tripod. It's a must.
(3) The big trick is to then switch to manual mode, and use these exact settings: set your aperture to f/11, set your shutter speed to 1/250 of a second, aim and shoot. It's that easy, and that's exactly what I did to get the shot you see above, taken last night around 9:30 pm.

By the way, Amazon.com is selling the book for only $11.99. Cheap!.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott
I bought the BOOKa week or so ago (amazon) You have done a great job with it. It has changed by photography - I finally use my tripod! I have set it up, as advised, and taken about a hundred shots of a rose. Different light etc as the flower deteriorates, some shots are 20 + seconds at f36. The tips in the BOOK really clean up so many little mistakes. I am sending it out to friends.
Thanks for doing the work
Doug Robinson

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jon Gales said...

I've got to get a copy of that thing :). I'm taking the little brother to New Mexico later this month and there should be some pretty spectacular night scenes out in the desert. Won't be a moon (new moon at the time), but an absurd amount of stars for us "city folk".

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ISO? 100?

3:21 PM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

The ISO was 200 (I just checked the EXIF data), but only because I wasn't really paying attention. I should have shot it at 100. :)

Scott

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott! I saw you at Photoshop world in Miami and I have to tell you, I LOVE your "Curves,MMMMMMM!" shortcut! I immediately bought several of your books at the trade show and just got your The Digital Photography Book. One of my sisters saw it and now I have to buy 2 more; one for each sister! Love, love, love your blog and thank you for introducing me to What the Duck! Haaa!!! I have soooo been that duck!(My husband hears me laughing and comes in to see it, but he just doesn't get it.Hee-hee!)Aaanyway, thanks for all the great tips and humor! Laughter makes it so much easier and more interesting to learn.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tonight, I got home and pulled out my Sony F828 and shot the moon....crappy! Then I come online and see this post , went right out and shot it again...niicee!!! I don't own a telephoto lens so I used a trick from your book, The P{hotoshop Book For Digital Photographers on zooming in without losing image resolution (page 68)...and voila!

I gotta tell you Scott...I buy any book you write. You make things so easy and explain things so clearly that sometimes I have to double check instructions just to make sure it's as simple as you make it. You're amazing and i really respect you and admire you. Thanks for helping us regular folks achieve amazing results!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Chan said...

Thanks for the tip Scott. I took several photos tonight with your tip. I shot it at ISO 200 as well.

It's actually Harvest Moon and we, Chinese, celebrates Harvest Moon every year. We even have a festival call Harvest Moon Festival. The legend says that many thousands of years ago a queen took the longevity potion from the tyrant king and prevented him from living forever and oppressed his subjects with his selfish whims and vanity. Of course the king was mad and had his army chased her, and she ascended to the moon for safety. Hence, we look at the moon every year speculating where she's living since she technically can liver forever. We also eat "Moon Cake". It's a very high-cal sweet pastry.

Of course during the first lunar landing by Neil Armstrong on 1969 kinda deflated our hopes of finding her on the moon.

2:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's amazing, you got a shot identical to mine. that was one of the first shot i took when i got my nikon. check mine out at www.seabourndesigns.com

yours came out better than mine, but when i saw it, it was amazing

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, great! Now we're being mooned by Kelby!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Scott!
Your advice paid off big time for me.
I already have 6 of your books. It's off to the store to get the new one!

Mike Goodwin
http://mgdigital.ca/assets/photography/Moon.jpg

10:52 PM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

Mike:
I just followed your link. WOW!! Your moon, kicked my moon, in the butt! Very nicely done!!! :-)

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember the sunny 16 rule since a full moon is just reflected sunlight. And with digital turn on the blinkies so you don't blow out any highlights. With a long lens the moon will move very fast but a tripod is a must!!!
mike meyer

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home