Gear Used in Slot Shots

I had a number of emails, and posts here in the blog, asking about the equipment I used in the shots posted last week from the Antelope Canyon Slots.
The camera was a 12-megapixel Nikon D2X. I used two different lenses: a Nikon 70mm-200mm VR 2.8 and a Nikon 24-120mm VR (which I used for most of the shots---it's seen in the photo here, courtesy of Bill Fortney).
Down in the slots it's a very "low light" situation, so I mounted the camera on a Slik Carbon-Fiber tripod with a "Really Right Stuff" ball head (which I love), and used a cable release (and mirror lockup) to get the maximum sharpness. I didn't use any filters in the field. I set my white balance to "Daylight" but at -3 to give it a warmer look.
In Photoshop I processed the Raw photos (just adjusting exposure and shadows), then I did any color correction using Curves in Lab mode, or the Apply Image Lab move (using the exact same techniques outlined in my Channels book), then I finished up by applying an Unsharp Mask to the Lightness Channnel. Because the shots are so colorful, there wasn't much color correction you could do without taking things too far, so the edits were fairly simple.
Thanks to everyone who posted such nice comments about the shots (or who sent me emails). We had a blast shooting out there, and a special thanks to the amazing Bill Fortney of Nikon Professional Services for his expertise out in the field. He's the best! :-)


3 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
I'm confused, if you are shooting RAW doesn't the WB setting made in the camera get ignored by ACR or LR ?
hi scott. I'm a portrait photographer who will be traveling to mexico with santa fe expeditions. I've been happy with my lenses but splurged on the 70-200 vr. I haven't been happy with the sharpness and weight of it. I do better with my 85 mm. I see that you also use the 24-120vr. When would I really want to have the 70-200? it's so darn heavy and I'm leaning now towards returning that and trying to find the 24-120. Would you kindly let me know what you think? email me at jdbstudio@aol.com. thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home