Friday, April 28, 2006

Shooting in Arizona


Yesterday we shot from 11:00 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. at the Upper Slots in Page, Arizona (the photo shown here shows some of the shafts of light beaming down into the slots, nearly 120 feet down--click on it for a larger version). These slots were wider and deeper than the Lower Slots we shot yesterday, and the light was much different. Because parts of these slots were darker, I was able to shoot a different style for the second two photos (posted after this one).

This morning we shot at Bryce Canyon, and this afternoon we shot in Zion National Park. We'll be shooting here until tomorrow. Having lots of fun!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Scott, this picture is so beautifil with the sun shafts of light.

Do you post the picture directly from the camara or you did some Photoshop adjustment?

Javier from Mexico

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've often wondered how photographers get these shots, where are all the other people? Are ther pathways for people to walk and areas to shoot from?
There is something so mesmerizing about the lines, rhythm and color there. Do a workshop, Scott, I'll come! What camera? what settings? how long is the exposure? Are you color correcting? Lab color? Does it look as beautiful to the eye as it does in the image? Composition is so key here to make it work, but it seems like a miraculously gorgeous place to shoot! have fun, janet

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These photos are amazing Scott. Thank you for posting the gorgeous images.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Antelope Canyon on Friday morning...might have run into you. It is a place of glorious light and color. You have captured its beauty. Do tell us your setup.

Visited Bryce and Zion earlier in the week. The Colorado Plateau has many magnificent loacations for landscape photography.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you try any HDR with these shots? Seems like this would be the perfect situation for 32 BIT.

mike meyer

10:47 AM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

Hi Anonymous:
There were other people shooting down there, so I had to wait until there was no one around. Bill and I found ourselves all alone for about 20-minutes, so that's when I got the shots where you can see the ground.

To get the beams of light to stand out, you don't use Photoshop. You actually have your buddy toss handfuls of sand up in the air, and when the dust starts coming up, you start firing.

The exposures were sometimes as long as 8 seconds.

To Dennis: Sorry we missed you. I was in the shots on Wed. and Thursday, but Matt came in late, so we took him to the Upper Slots on Friday, so you might have run into him if you were around there at noon to 1:00 pm.

To Mike: I wish I had thought to do some HDR shots, but for some reason it didn't cross my mind. Now I wish I had. :-)

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home