Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How Does He Do It? In Camera or In Photoshop?

I ran across Patrick Hoelck's brilliant photography portfolio after I saw it discussed (OK, debated) in an online forum (I wish I could remember which one). I really, really like his style, but beyond his cool photography, what peaked my interest was how the forum participants were arguing back and forth about whether his "look" comes from his technique in camera, or after the fact in Photshop. Now, as a guy who really loves Photoshop, I have great respect for him either way (because digital photography in the 21st century is two things; the photography and the processing in Photoshop), so if he's getting this look in Photoshop, all I can say is "Please teach it to me!" If he's doing it all with lighting (as apparently he is quoted in a magazine article), then all I can say is "Please teach it to me!" Either way; take a look at his cool images and see what you think (and post your comments as to whether you think it's mostly done: "In the Lighting" or "Later In Photoshop").

13 Comments:

Blogger Jason D. Moore said...

I think most of it is in the lighting, but with most shots nowadays I'm sure there's some PS magic in there too. Either way, I'd love to know how he does it!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Don Capari said...

There is an article on Patrick Hoelck over at Digital Photo Pro. He discusses his technique, and inspirations in the article.

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/articles/2006/septoct/filmnoir.php

12:21 PM  
Blogger phototure said...

I started a thread about this about a week ago in the NAPP forums...I was surprised by the response I got to it. I agree that a lot of it is lighting...but I am sure there is PS work in it.

Scott, If you do find out....Please show it on PSTV!

3:25 PM  
Blogger phototure said...

Well...I see that he still hasn't completely converted to digital...so..The man knows how to light. Now the question is...for those who don't have a awesome lighting set up...what is the best way to achieve this in PS?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Alan Hess said...

I just finished the article on Lionel Deluy in the Jan/Feb issue of PhotoPro and he has a similar stlye that he achieves with lights first and photoshop second.
He did say that he uses a huge amout of lighting gear, including a ring flash.
I want to do more shoots like these guys.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Jeff Revell said...

I think people have forgotten what the true masters of studio lighting can achieve in camera. If you don't know what I'm talking about, just harken back to the unbelievable images of the Hollywood set during the 1930's and 40's. For more understanding of this just go to www.hurrellphotography.com George Hurrell was the master of the Hollywood studio glamor portrait who's work dates back from the early 30's straight through to the 90's. All of it on film and with extraordinary lighting. After viewing his work again it's not so hard to believe that anything is possible with the right equipment and know-how.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you like this.
i want you to check out
http://andrzejdragan.com/
http://www.faustyle.com/
http://www.fiscusphoto.com/
...masters of style...
...
i also found some actions that are quite usefull.
google for draganized and/or jim fiscus

gregor

7:29 AM  
Blogger Schmitt said...

i think its in the lighting with a little touchup in PS, either way teach me too!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure looks like superior photography, with a little PhotoShop to touch things up. PhotoShop alone wouldn't give you that quality of work without really good photography to build upon.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's piqued...not peaked. :P aren't you an editor??

yes, this style is very hot right now. i'm with you in that it doesn't matter to me how it was created because the end result is simply stunning.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just sent him an email that is on his contact page and within a few minutes he replied to me.

"In camera.. Very little retouch"

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As this guy is also a film director - I am tipping he uses flourecsent lighting in some of his shots.

a lot of the effect is done with (not giving too much away) - the addition of coloured duotone layers and overlay / soft light desaturated layers.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look here

http://susipator.blogs.com/
weblog/beyonce/index.html

scroll over halfway down page to beyonce @ partick hoelck shoot...(redcarpet, yellow couch)...look at last 2 photos vs. the rest of the photos..retouch?
in-camera?

either way the end product is beautiful

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home