Thursday, February 01, 2007

From Last Night's Shoot


I took this shot last night (click for the larger version) using 2 Nikon SB-800 flash units: The first was mounted on a Bogen light stand, with a Justin Clamp on top to hold the flash. This SB-800 was fired thru a Lastolite 33" 1-stop tri-grip diffusion panel to soften and spread the light. The second flash was placed on the floor to the right of the subject using the tiny stand that comes with the SB-800, (the subject is John Graden, one of the best known names in the martial arts industry. He needed the shot for an upcoming article about him in a British martial arts magazine). It was taken with a Nikon D-200, with the SB-800 set to wireless remote, so I could control the power of each individual flash from the camera itself.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome shot Scott - perfect lighting! I'm still kinda new to using light/flash in my photography, but hope to boost my skill level soon! Now if I could just work some lights into my budget....see ya, Gene :)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Scott,

good to see what's possible without a big studio equipment. Nice shot! Did you use the "Westcott" background as well?
When comes "The Digital Lighting Book"?

Keep going!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like the shot (better than I could do by far), but I was just wondering if that was his arm shadow crossing his head or if it's just my bad eyes.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

Hi Chris:
That is his arm shadow, and I thought about removing it in Photoshop, but somehow I kinda liked it. Maybe it's because everybody else would have removed it, eh? ;-)

Thanks everybody for your comments, and to Holger; I am working on a "Part II" to my "Digital Photography Book" that will pick up where the last version left off, with studio lighting, on location flash, and tons of cool new stuff. :)

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott...
I'm a Canon shooter and have the dual flash/transmitter control set up like you have used here. I sometimes find it difficult to control the light so I'm enjoying reading how others do it. Sometimes you just want to go out with a simple set up.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home