Dawn at Yosemite Falls (click for larger version)

This is a shot from this morning's dawn shoot. It was just a beautiful morning, and although it looks really cold, it really wasn't (well, if you dressed warm, and I sure did!), it was only around 32 degrees, but with virutally no wind, and no rain or snow (the snow politely waited until we went to breakfast after the shoot). Everybody was really psyched and we were all shooting like mad. Because it was a bit overcast, we got to shoot a little longer than usual, but suddenly a beam of light would across the waterfalls or side of the mountain, and we'd chase that light (sad, but that's what we do). Here's the details on this shot: taken with a Nikon D2X, with a Nikon 12mm super wide angle lens. I shot it at ISO 100 (for the best sharpness and least noise), and I shot it at 1/3 sec at f/22 in Aperture Priority mode. I used f/22 for two reasons: (1) to create the maximum depth of field, so everything from the foreground to the falls would be in focus, and (2) I wanted the shutter to stay open long enough to make the falls look silky.


9 Comments:
Wow, excellent picture!
I love this picture. It makes me feel like I'm there...maybe just waking up after camping..stepping out of my tent and taking a big breath of fresh air. Great work as always Scott!
Scott, can you discuss, when you get a chance, what you did in lightroom to it?
Thanks.
P.S. I am really enjoying your Digital Photography Book. Unbelievable how simply you keep it.
Nice shot Scott!
You tha man! :)
Is that a 12mm prime or the Nikon 12-24mm dx lens?
Hi Anonymous:
It's the Nikon 12-24mm DX Lens. When I'm shooting a sense that has an interesting foreground, that's the first lens I reach for.
Take care,
-Scott
Looks like you used a filter. If you did what was it? ND? Polarizer? Or was the graduation done in PS?
The trees on the right appear to be leaning towards the center. Is that the lens?
Beautiful image. I feel like I can hear the silence of the spot.
Of course it probably was noisy with all the other paparazzi clicking away!
Post a Comment
<< Home