Shot This Week

Photoshop World is only 11 days away, so Dave Moser and I needed a break to clear our otherwise cluttered minds, so we went to the Horse Track and cranked off a couple of shots. We only had time to shoot two races, but here's one I got from the second race (click on the thumbnail for a larger view). Let the record show that while I was at the track, I did not place a bet. However, I did steal some stuff and drank quite heavily. ;-)


5 Comments:
Great shot Scott,
Would you share camera settings and technique?
Hi Anonymous:
It was taken with a Nikon D2X using a Nikor 70mm-200mm VR lens.
F Stop: f/11
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 180mm
Aperture Priorty
I panned right along with the horses, following them as they passed in front of me, and I was shooting about 5 frames per second as I panned.
In Photoshop, I then did a minor Curves Color Correction (the color was pretty decent from the start, so I didn't have to do very much), but then I enhanced the colors using the Lab Color/Apply Image trick I learned from Dan Margulis. I use a simplified version from Dans's (meaning it's not quite as good, but faster) and that version is in my new Channels book.
I also added some edge vignetting (from the Photoshop for Digital Photographers book) to darken the edges. Lastly, I sharpened the photo using CS2's smart sharpen filter (settings: Amount 57%, radius 1, Lens Blur, More Accurate), and then I added the white canvas border around the photo (1" on all sides, and an extra inch on the bottom). The font used is Gil Sans Light, with lots of space between the letters.
Scott,
Thanks for taking the time to answer me! you are the best. I will see you again at one of your classes. This is Janet, I've written to you before. I've watched you at ps world in 'showing off your work' so this all makes sense to me. thank you!
Hi Scott,
Remember me from the Maine Digital Landscape workshop with Moose and Vince?
Great photo and I really appreciate you sharing the details of how you shot it and then what you did in Photoshop. You know that is a great idea for a photography/Photoshop book. Taking the reader through the. Planning and act of shooting, What equipment, how it was shot, etc then taking them through the Photoshop steps prepping for print.
See you in Miami next week. I can't wait.
Regards,
Luis
Hi Luis:
Great to hear from you, and I look forward to seeing you in Miami!
Scott
P.S. That's a great idea for a book, and as you'll soon see---great minds think alike. :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home