Monday, October 30, 2006

Putting Joe's Training To Work


So, after learning lots of cool stuff at the DLWS in Vermont, this weekend I pulled out a strobe with a softbox to try one of the portrait lighting techniques I learned from Joe McNally. The technique gives a dramatic light for male portraits that fades to solid black. Here's a portrait of my father-in-law (click on the photo to see a larger version) taken using that black Westcott Illuminator background (the same one I used for my daisy and calla lilly shots) using a single 2x3 softbox on a Bogen light stand. I shot tethered (to my laptop) using the new Nikon Camera Control software ($79) so I could see the shots full screen so I could tweak the lighting.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to catch Joe in San Diego a couple of years ago when he demostrated the Nikon SB800 flash system. I love the look of this fade to black portrait. Gonna have to try that out asap.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

RE "using a single 2x3 softbox on a Bogen light stand."
Which softbox did you use? The guys at my local camera store sort of poo-pooed the idea of using a large softbox with the SB800...
Thanks!

Jon

7:15 PM  
Blogger Andy Glogower said...

Scott, this is an excellent shot. A shot of the set up would be a big help too.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home