Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Vermont, Day 3: Day of the Locust


Actually, as Dave and I stood there this morning, about 5:50 am in the coldest, rainiest weather yet, we both were thinking that the locust plague I mentioned yesterday would be preferable, because at least then we'd have something to shoot. Undaunted by the torrential rains and occasional snow flurries, we drove for about 45 minutes until we came to a gorge, where Dave and I both took some of the most forgettable photos ever. After the shoot, we set-up for the class photo. We stood there, in a group, each one shivering, cold, wet, and huddled together for warmth, and just then, at around 9:00 am, it happened. The weather gods sensed our shooting was done for the day, and the magical dawn light was safely over, so they released the sun. Harsh, direct, bright sun beaming down on our damp gear. Nevertheless, Dave and I had seen a couple of cool things on the way to the shoot; some old farming equipment in a nearby field and an old abandoned truck, so we jumped in the car and raced there. Of course, this angered the gods, and gray clouds quickly formed. I'm amazed it didn't rain. Here's one of the shots I got of the old truck. I call it, "old truck."

3 Comments:

Blogger John David said...

Wow..these pics are awesome!!! I have a question tho Scott: your pictures seem to have this smooth yet sharp look. Like an overall smooth finish to them. How is that done? Is that the camera or are you achieving this in Photoshop? I have tried to do it in Photoshop but I can't seem to find the way to do it.

Also a suggestion: you should publish a "recipe" book kinda like the last chapter in your Digital Photography book. That chapter is priceless and it would be so cool to see a whole book on how to get the kind of shots we all would like to get. Keep up the good work..I have learned so much from you.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Scott Kelby said...

Hi John David:
Thanks for your very kind comments. I think the smooth finish comes from the use of Vignetting in Photoshop. It makes the photos look as though there's a soft spotlight aiming right at the center of each photo, by darkening the edge areas. Since it doesn't soften the photo at all (it just darkens the outside edges softly), the photo stays just as sharp. I use this vignetting effect on most of my photos. It's kind of a trademark look I guess, and I think that's what you're seeing.

As for the recipe book idea---boy, have I got a new book for you (coming soon). :-)

10:10 AM  
Blogger phototure said...

Im Happy to hear about the new book...cant wait. I think John David and I both were noticing the same things with your photos.I add vignetting to some of my photos...however mine still don't have that "quality" look.The fact that I am not as great a photographer as you may have something to do with it. How do you add yours? Do you just add a new layer of black...turn down trans. ....and erase the center or do you have some handy dandy PS trick. If you already have the tip somewhare...can you direct me to it please. If this encroaches on your 'trademark" look...no offense will be take if you don't want to disclose your secret.

- Travis

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home