Finishing Off My New Book

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a new book that should be out by the first week of August. It's called (get ready for a really brilliant name) "The Digital Photography Book" (OK, the name's kind of simple, but somehow it works). This is NOT a Photoshop Book, it's a book designed for people who aren't happy with the results they're getting from their Digital SLRs. I talk to people all the time who upgraded from point-and-shoot cameras to Digital SLRS (like Nikon D70s, or Canon 20Ds) and they tell me that now instead of getting 3 megapixel photos they're disapointed with, now they're getting 6 and 8 megapixel photos they're disapointed with, so I wrote a book to help those very people.
Here's the premise of the book: If you and I were out on a shoot, and you asked me "Hey, how do I get this flower to be in focus, but I want the background out of focus?" I wouldn’t stand there and give you a lecture about aperture, exposure, and depth and field. In real life, I’d just say, "Get out your telephoto lens, set your f/stop to f/2.8, focus on the flower and fire away." You’d say, "OK" and you’d get the shot. That's what this book is all about. A book of you and I out shooting, and I answer the questions, give you advice, and share the secrets I’ve learned just like I would with a friend, without all the technical explanations and without all the techno-photo-speak.
Now, this book is NOT for professionals, so if you're a pro, skip it. But if you're not happy with the photos you're getting from your digital SLR camera,and you want nearly 200 pro-tips for getting dramatically better results, then it's worth checking out. You can pre-order it at Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble for around $13. Cheap. ;-)
Well, that's what I've been up to, and it's really been a blast.


15 Comments:
Always nice to you come out with another book. What's up with Down and Dirty Tricks for CS2, tho? Amazon has a projected publication date of Dec. 1, 2007!
Is your new book aimed at folks shooting in RAW exclusively?
Scott,
Never knowing you to want limit your target audience, I would suggest that the comment about pro's skipping this book be changed to "... the book for pros who are always asked 'Hey, how do I get this flower to be in focus, but I want the background out of focus?' and stand there and give a lecture about aperture, exposure, and depth and field, when all that person really wants to hear is 'Grab your telephoto lens, set to f2.8 and fire away.'"
We miss you on PSTV.
congrats on the book scott! looking forward to it
Hi Everybody:
To Anonymous about is the book aimed at those shooting in Raw exclusively?
Answer: Absolutely not. It's not a Photoshop book---it'a about photographic technique, tricks to get better composition, better light, and better photos.
To Alessandro:
Thanks for the tip. I'm afraid if I don't make it clear that it's not a book for working pros, then working pros will buy it and say "Hey, I already know this stuff" and it's very important to me that the people who need this book the most are one's who actually buy it. That being said, I've had some pros look at early drafts, and I've gotten a number of "Hey, I didn't know that!" comments, but again, it's not really aimed at pros--it's aimed at getting pro-quality shots (and not all pros will be happy that I've published a book like this--believe me).
Sounds good. Something to put in the camera pack and have on hand at all times.
Hope its as "witty" as some of your others that I have. I enjoy your books for their sense of humor.
Good job
You did a great job with your first e-book Lightroom.
Many of your Napp members would like a update to lightroom 3. When will we see lightroom 3 update?
Hi Scott,
As one of the people who has come from P&S cameras to DSLRs, I look forward to this reasonably priced book. :)
I'm wondering if there'd be any plans to allow "Search inside this book" feature on Amazon.com?
It's always a huge selling point for me when I can look INSIDE the book at the book's format. :)
Thanks for all you do!
Ted
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Congratulations !
How we can wait until September to have another great book from Scott Kelby ?
Oscar Nonis
In your book Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers you advocate
using Spyder2 Pro for monitor calibration. However, since I am not a pro photographer & use only Epson papers & profiles w/my 2200 printer, would the Spyder2 Express give me the proper monitor calibration I need for my new Viewsonic LCD monitor & Epson 2200 coordination? What advantages would I gain from using the pro version?
Thanks!
hi Scott, a brain cruncher for you (or maybe not) - I am sure there must be an explanation for it:
I have a file of 3800 by 3200, 402 dpi.
I need to crop it, yet can't loose quality.
I set up my crop tool as 3800 by 3200, 402 dpi.
I crop, and the picture stays at 3800, 3200 and 402. Yet it has cropped as the nasty wheels in the top are gone...
Where is the trick... as far as I know, cropping always does something to either pixels or resolution...
I tried the help desk NAPP, but nothing so far...
I was hoping you would have the straight answer.
Good news on your new book. I am ready for it.
Always nice to read your stuff during breakfast... we just need to be careful that the coffee does not comes out of our noses when we snigger...
Have you stopped posting to this site?
>>>Anonymous said...
You did a great job with your first e-book Lightroom. Many of your Napp members would like a update to lightroom 3. When will we see lightroom 3 update?<<<
I just finished the update for Beta 3 and the update should be released any day now. I'll be sure to post exactly when here on the blog. :-)
Hey Scott-
When's your book supposed to be released? I've already pre-ordered it and can't wait to get started.
Sam
Post a Comment
<< Home